Thursday, November 09, 2006

The God Delusion

Did something today that I had not done in a long time...read a book! Of course I've read the course books cover to cover, but that is not what I had in mind. Started reading "The God Delusion" by Richard Dawkins. This is the first book by Dawkins that I am reading, and I already his style of writing; clear, concise and simple. The book is exactly about what the title says, namely, the "delusion" that God exists and he/she is omnipotent and omniscient and benevolent.

Which brings me to my second point. Was reading Nadya's latest blog entry, and he talks about some people thinking that "faith" is important. Faith? Faith? What in the name of sam hill is faith? And why is it necessary that I have "faith"? Why is believing in something without proof so important? I have never seen the reason to have "faith" in anything or anybody! Ever!

Which brings me to my third point..God. Sumedh (Nadya's friend) has written a succint post of the idea of God, and I agree completely. And yet, it leads me to think...why all the killing in the name of God? Why the hatred? Why Godhra? Why the entire ruckus about the "blasphemous" cartoons?

Pensive,
Kaustubh

No comments: