Wednesday, May 24, 2006

For my country to love me, as much as I love it

I am an Indian, living in India. That, it seems, is not enough to allow me to get into an educational institute of my choice. Not only do you have to be Indian, you have to be an SC/ST or an OBC to get into, say the IITs. That is what the new 27% quota means. It is a piece of legislation that needs to be fought, opposed tooth and nail, by any means necessary.

As you might have guessed, I am a part of the anti-quota "lobby". I belong to the so called "upper caste", meaning simply that I do not satisfy any criteria to get a reserved seat (not that I'm complaining). And currently, I feel betrayed. Betrayed, because my government chooses to ignore my concerns, because they want to implement Mandal II. Betrayed, because my Prime Minister assures me that my interest would not be compromised, and then announces the quota legislation that very evening. Betrayed, because not one minister thought it fit to meet the striking doctors for 7 weeks, because they were busy with the elections.

Elections..that's what this quota legislation is all about. The government is worried about staying in power. It wants votes, the striking students be damned. The opposition wants votes too, because they want to be in power next election season. Ergo, "upper caste" students be damned!

I love my country. Is it too much to ask for my country to love me too?

Kaustubh

No comments: